Connect To Consumers
Individuals with disabilities are one of the fastest growing market segments in the US with almost 80 million people (CDC, 2014). Many of the disabilities can include a communication or intellectual impairment, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Down Syndrome, Alzheimer’s Disease and Traumatic Brain Injury.
1 in 4 people in your community has a disability and is an inclusive consumer; they are also connected to inclusive consumers.
Who are the inclusive consumers?
- Individuals with disabilities
- Family members of individuals with disabilities
- Service providers for individuals with disabilities
- Therapeutic service providers
- Assistants to help with activities of daily living
- Schools that serve students with disabilities
- Community agencies planning activities for individuals with disabilities
Trends in Accessible Tourism
(Open Doors Organization, 2015)
Trends of travel for adults with disabilities over 2 years:
- 26 million individuals with disabilities traveled for a total of 73 million trips
- Spent $17.3 billion annually in travel
- Average of $500 per trip per person
- Regularly travel with service companions
- The most common method book travel is the internet